Thursday, December 18, 2008

What did You Do?

I get asked from time to time what I did to get through the my first round of P90X. Here I am almost mid way through my 6th round of the program and it doesn't seem that long ago.

I've been thinking about a proper reply to the question and the answer isn't as simple as just pushing play.

Biggest thing for me was having my wife working with me when it came to nutrition. I don't think I could have done it without her there with me. Thank you, Suzette for taking the challenge with me and enjoying the success. BTW, she’s had phenomenal success thus far dropping 2 dress sizes going from a size 10 to size 6 as well as getting a ripped 6 pack! She won’t let me post her pictures but I’m working on her.

As for what did I eat? I used the P90X Nutritional guide as just that, a guide. We didn't follow each of the daily menu items, we picked items we liked and ate them depending on which meal it was. We used the guide in terms of portion size, calorie intake, etc.

I started the program weighing about 195 pounds which should have put me on Level II nutritional plan however I was unable to eat the amount of food defined in Level II. So I ended up following Level 1.5. We didn't make many of the soups etc., just didn't have the time to put them together.

The key thing for me was I eliminated ALL sugars, wheat, & rice type carbs during the majority of the first round however when it came to fruits, I ate whatever I felt like having either during a meal or snack. I did run into a stretch about three weeks in where I would run out of energy around 2pm, after speaking with my coach about it I added a couple peices of whole wheat toast with my breakfast and problem solved.

Supplements consisted of Recovery Drink, P90X Performance Bars, ActivIT Fat Burning, Slimming Formula, Whey Protein, & Meal Replacement powder.

Workouts were the "easy" thing for me having lifted weights regularly for 20 years, many of the resistance moves where familiar. It was a matter of "flipping the switch" and my body responded better than any other workout I ever did in the past. I really didn’t have any trouble getting motivated to push play and Bring It. I love the workouts, the fact that you’re doing a different workout every day and doing so many different types off workouts from Plyo to Yoga!

Finally, and most importantly, I followed the program IT WORKS! I was a true believer in the program 100% from the beginning. Decide.Commit.Succeed. If you do all three you will have success as advertised with P90X. If you go into the program thinking it might not work I think you’re much more likely to either quit early or not Bring It like you need to.

One last thing I've discovered over the last year or so is that you shouldn't go through a program like P90X or any fitness and weight loss program all by yourself. Get engaged with a support group, coach, etc. You need someone or a group you can bounce questions off of. You'll realize that you're not the only one who's had these types of issues, so don't be afraid to reach out to a Beachbody coach if you have questions, even if you're not doing a Beachbody program you can still get involved with a coach. We're here to provide Motivation, Inspiration, and Guidence.

It's Simple Just Not Easy!

No comments: